Herguan University
| | |
Untitled Document
| | | | | | |
Untitled Document
Regn. Procedure
Frequently Asked Questions

Herguan University has gathered a list of our most-frequently-asked questions. We hope that this list answers some of your questions. We offer programs: Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS), Master of Science in Electronics Engineering (MSEE), and Masters in Business Administration (MBA).


What are the admission requirements to enter your master’s degree program?
Applicants must have completed a baccalaureate degree at an institution accredited by the U.S. Secretary of Education or, for applicants who have completed a program outside the United States, provide documentation verifying that the program is equivalent to a bachelor's degree program in the USA. A minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 is also required. Applicants are also encouraged to submit their resumes.

How should I apply?
Complete an application form (online or hardcopy); pay the one-time $50, non-refundable application fee; and take the Entrance assessment test; provide official educational transcript from colleges previously attended or currently attending. Transcripts must be sealed and sent directly to the HGU Admissions office from these institution(s) to [email protected] Non-English transcripts must be accompanied by an official translation and evaluation.

Does HGU issue I-20?
Yes, HGU is authorized under Federal law to issue a Certificate of Eligibility Form I-20 for F-1 student status.

What documents do I need to apply for the F-1 Student visa?
Students need a Certificate of Account Balance from their (or, if applicable, their parents' or their spouses’) bank account, showing a minimum of $15,000 on deposit in U.S.-dollar equivalents, or a notarized I-134 form (Affidavit of Support issued by the U.S. Immigration Office). Provide the Designated School Official (DSO) with a copy of the I-20 form, I-94, visa, and passport. Documentation verifying English proficiency is necessary. Non-English speaking students without proof of English proficiency will be required to take an on-campus English Placement Examination. The exam results determine whether the student is required to take English as A Second Language (ESL) classes and at what level. ESL classes are offered at HGU. There is $30 additional charge for Express Mail Service. You may either pay using credit card when you submit the application or send us a bank draft together with your application documents. Please make your bank draft payable to "Herguan University". Checklist
For more information, contact Kalpana Wunnava or email to [email protected]

Is a TOEFL test required? What if I have not taken the TOEFL test yet?
All other applicants must be assessed for their English proficiencies by either taking a standardized test, such as TOEFL or IELTS. If you have not taken the TOEFL test you can take HGU’s on-campus English Placement Examination (EPE) before or upon reporting to HGU.

When should I apply to HGU?
HGU has a rolling admissions policy; you may apply at any time. However, we recommend that you begin the application process three months prior to the term for which you plan to enroll. This will give you time to submit the necessary documents.

Is HGU easy to find?
Yes. We are centrally located in the heart of Silicon Valley in Sunnyvale California. HGU is easily accessible from Highways 85, 101, 237 and 280.

What are my Health Insurance choices?
Students have the option to purchase the university-sponsored health insurance through the Student Services dept. Click to download Catalog. For further information may contact Student Services dept.

How much are tuition and fees?
Our tuition is $295 per unit. For full-time students, it means at least 9 units per trimester ($2655+). Students can also opt for Installment plans to pay their tuition fees. The form need to be duly filled and send to [email protected] .
Click to download Installment Payment Plan Form

Do you have a New Student Orientation?
Yes. HGU provides the New Student Orientation to all new students. The purpose is to introduce the services and facilities of the university so the students can better utilize the learning and social resources HGU provides to optimize their learning benefits.

How do I apply for Teaching or Research Assistantships?
HGU offers a limited number of research and teaching assistantships. After you have been offered admission, you may contact the academics office: Fay Huang.

How do I check the status of my application?
You can send us an email to [email protected], or contact Kalpana Wunnava at 408 - 481 - 9988. Ext. 118.

How to register for the course?
Step 1. Students can find the Class Schedule on the university’s website for each semester which helps them to register for the courses.

Step 2. Students are requested to login to Student Portal and check for the courses they took previously before they register, to avoid re-registering the course they already completed. Students may email to [email protected] for User Name and Password to login to Student Portal.

Step 3. New students need to also send the Enrollment Agreement Form duly filled along with Registration Form.

New students are requested to set up an appointment with Academic Advisor Fay Huang while registering for the courses for the first time.

Do HGU offer On-Campus jobs?
Yes, HGU offers jobs right on the university campus. Any job you work becomes work experience on your resume, so make it count. Email to: [email protected]

Can I Add or Drop a course?
After submitting the Registration Form to university, If student decides to change the course(s) they need to fill in the online Add/Drop Form

Will I receive Course Syllabus from my professor?
Professors do provide the Course Syllabus to students either by email or in class. If you did not receive your syllabus in the beginning of the semester, you may email your professor(s) requesting for Syllabus. The professors email id’s are available on the Class Schedule and also you need to email to [email protected] to update your email id in the university’s contact database.

How will I know about University Holiday’s?
Students need to check the Academic Calendar .

How to check my Grades online?
Student need to login to Student Portal to check their semester Grades. You need to send email to [email protected] for User Name and Password to login to Student Portal.

What is Practical Training - CPT/OPT?
For CPT, Students must have F-1 status. Part-time CPT is 20 hours a week or less. If done during the school year, students must maintain full time status. It has no effect on OPT.
OPT is a benefit of F-1 immigration status that permits up to 12 months of off-campus employment for the purpose of gaining practical experience in the student's chosen field. While the student may work for any employer in the U.S., the job duties must be directly related to the student’s area of study and appropriate with the student’s educational level. For more information may contact [email protected]  

Does the university have a library for the students?
Yes. For information on books may email to [email protected] .

Does university conduct Extra-curricular activities and Events for students ?
University have a Student Union Board called AASU – Asian American Student Union, which conducts extra-curricular activities and events like New Students Welcome Party, Picnic, Sports Competitions, Quiz Competitions, Guest Speaker Sessions and many more. To participate or for more information may contact any of the AASU members or visit http://aasu.herguanuniversity.org .

What Services does the university provide to students?
University have a Student Services department, which provides various services to its students. Services like annual VTA Bus Pass, Health Insurance, Accomodation, Pickup from Airport, and Job Assistance. For more information may contact [email protected]

For students convenience we have provided almost all the forms online to be downloaded from our school website. Online Request Forms
Go Top

595 Lawrence Expressway, Sunnyvale, CA 94085 | Tel (408) 481 9988 | Fax (408) 749 1111/636 7705 | Click here for VTA bus route

E-mail: [email protected] HERGUAN UNIVERSITY. All Rights Reserved.